The latest attempt at reclassification by the Virginia High School League (VHSL) was approved this week, but won't take effect until the beginning of the 2017-18 season. So, for now, conferences continue as do the current region set-ups.
The headlines concerning the newest "new era" coming next fall:
1) Classes no longer have the letter "A" associated with its name. So, instead of winning the "5A State Championship", you will soon hear it as the "Class 5 Championship"/
2) Regions, though relatively still split up when possible by regions of the Commonwealth, will not carry directional names. No more "6A South Region" come July, become "Class 6, Region B".
3) The RVA teams in Class 6, Region B, the current Conference 3 schools in 6A South, are in the smallest region in the classification, just eight teams. Region A has 12, Region C 18, and Region D 17.
4) The only "all-Richmond" region is found in Class 5, Region B, as fifteen area schools become members from Atlee to the north to Prince George in the south.
5) Patrick Henry will move down from Class 5 to Class 4, joining county rival Hanover in the new "Class 4, Region B". That region extends from Culpeper (Eastern View) to Dinwiddie, north to south. That's 126 miles.
6) Class 3 area schools are split into two regions, A and B.
Here are the new regions, followed by, in case you've forgotten, the area districts, as they return to replace conferences, which will be retired after this school year. District Tournament titles have not been played for in the Richmond area since the 2012-13 school year.
CLASS 6, REGION B (8 Teams)
CLASS 5, REGION B (15 Teams)
CLASS 4, REGION B (13 Teams)
Patrick Henry (Ashland)
CLASS 3, REGION A (12 Teams)
Park View-South Hill
Booker T. Washington
CLASS 3, REGION B (12 Teams)
CLASS 2, REGION A (14 Teams)
Amelia, Arcadia, Bluestone, Bruton, Brunswick, Goochland, Greensville, King William, Nandua, Nottoway, Poquoson, Prince Edward, Randolph-Henry, Maggie Walker GS
CLASS 1, REGION A (17 Teams)
Colonial Beach, Charles City, Chincoteague, Essex, Franklin, King & Queen, Lancaster, Mathews, Middlesex, Northampton, Northumberland, Rappahannock, Surry, Sussex, Washington & Lee, West Point, Windsor
CLASS 1, REGION B (10 Teams)
Altavista, Appomattox Regional GS, William Campbell, Carver College/Career Academy, Central-Lunenburg, Cumberland, Galileo, Stonewall Jackson, Rappahannock County, Riverheads
CAPITAL: Atlee, Armstrong, Hanover, Henrico, Highland Springs, Lee-Davis, Patrick Henry, Varina
CENTRAL: Appomattox Regional GS (academic activities, athletics in Tri-Rivers District), Colonial Heights, Dinwiddie, Hopewell, Matoaca, Meadowbrook, Petersburg, Prince George, Thomas Dale
COLONIAL: Deep Run, Douglas Freeman, Glen Allen, Hermitage, J.R. Tucker, John Marshall, Mills Godwin, Thomas Jefferson, Maggie Walker GS
DOMINION: Clover Hill, Cosby, George Wythe, Huguenot, James River, L.C. Bird, Manchester, Midlothian, Monacan
JEFFERSON: Albemarle, Charlottesville, Fluvanna, Louisa, Monticello, Orange, Powhatan, Western Albemarle
BATTLEFIELD: Caroline, Chancellor, Courtland, Eastern View, King George, James Monroe, Spotsylvania
BAY RIVERS: Bruton, Grafton, Jamestown, Lafayette, New Kent, Poquoson, Smithfield, Tabb, Warhill, York
TIDEWATER: Carver College/Career, Charles City, King & Queen, King William, Mathews, Middlesex, West Point
JAMES RIVER: Amelia, Bluestone, Buckingham, Central Lunenburg, Cumberland, Goochland, Nottoway, Prince Edward, Randolph-Henry
The RVA Sports Network is your home for high school sports and more in Central Virginia! The home of "Central Region Now!" the longest-running podcast dedicated exclusively to RVA sports. We broadcast over 50 live events in eight different high school sports every year! RVASN also covers the latest in college sports, from Richmond and VCU to Virginia Union and Virginia State, NASCAR, the Flying Squirrels, the Kickers and whatever happens in RVA! The RVA Sports Network, family owned by HCS Media, LLC. "Sports. Family. Life."